Hempseed oil, or hemp oil, is highly nutritious and helpful for the skin.
The vitamins and fatty acids in this oil help keep the skin healthy and prevent breakouts.
The oil is an excellent choice for nourishing the skin and protecting it from inflammation, oxidation, and other causes of aging.
How to apply hemp oil
The first method is to apply the hemp oil directly to your skin.
This can work if you have immediate irritation or dry patches of skin that you want to soothe quickly.
Before using the oil, try a patch test to make sure you won’t get an unwanted reaction:
- Wash and dry a small area of your upper arm (such as the crook of your elbow).
- Apply a small amount of pure hemp oil. (If using the hemp and essential oil mixture described below, test in a separate spot from the pure oil and at a different time.)
- Cover the spot with a bandage and leave it in place for 24 hours, being careful not to get the bandage wet.
- If any redness, burning, itching, or other irritation occurs, you can assume you’re sensitive to the oil and shouldn’t use it. If you have a reaction, remove the bandage immediately and wash the spot with soap and water.
- If you don’t see or feel any reaction, then the oil is probably safe to use.
If you’re using the hemp oil to treat acne and want to apply it topically, apply the oil directly to clean skin and leave it on for one to two minutes before washing it away with warm water.
Hemp oil and essential oil mixture
You can also combine hemp oil and other anti-inflammatory and soothing ingredients with a recipe like the one below, which can be applied directly to the skin:
- 1/4 cup hemp oil
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil (can be melted in the microwave; place the desired amount in a microwaveable container and heat in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until completely melted)
- 4 to 5 drops skin-boosting essential oil, like rosemary oil
Note: Essential oils, like rosemary oil, should only be applied, in a diluted mixture, on the skin. Do not take essential oils internally.